Summer refreshments are shining bright and berry beverages are bursting with big, bold flavors. While strawberries, blueberries and a bounty of other berries might be filling fruit salads, desserts and other treats, those flavors are influencing the beverages in people’s glasses, too. Feeling a little juicy yet?
Using berries in beverages isn’t a new idea. Who hasn’t had a strawberry in some sparkling wine or few berries in a sangria. The reality is that berries are an easy way to boost the flavor in a variety of beverages.
Many sparkling waters feature berry flavors. Waterloo introduced its summer berry flavor. That juicy sparkling water is perfect on its own, enhanced with a few fresh berries or a variety of other uses.
One delightful way to enjoy the Waterloo summer berry is to use it in 2-ingredient cake hack. Simply use the Waterloo summer berry with a white cake mix for a light, delightful cake. Top it with some summer berries and even a little dusting of powdered sugar for a delicious summer dessert.
Berry beverages get a kick with some herbs.
Combining summer berries and herbs make the flavors pop. Whether it is strawberry and mint or basil or blueberries and thyme, the options are many. Berries and herbs work because the two flavors complement each other.
Since many people love a refreshing cocktail on a warm summer day, this Vodka Strawberry Herbal & Mint Press hits all the flavor notes. A touch sweet, a hint of savory and a brightness from the mint make for a surprising yet delightful beverage.
Consider pairing this summer beverage with a salad, grilled chicken or even some smoked ribs. The flavors can pair with almost anything.
Vodka Strawberry Herbal & Mint Press
- 1.25 oz Citrus Vodka
- 1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 strawberries
- Muddle 4 pieces of Basil
- 4 oz Lipton Herbal Strawberry and Mint Tea
- Top with lemon lime soda
- Mint Sprig
- Basil Sprig
- Fresh Strawberry
- Place 3 strawberries in a tin and muddle well, add 4 basil leaves, citrus vodka, 1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar and 4 oz Lipton Herbal Strawberry and Mint Tea. Add ice, shake and fine strain into a tall glass over clear ice. Top with lemon lime soda. Garnish with fresh mint, basil and a fresh strawberry.
For a simple cocktail that is berry forward, this Sparkler Spritz has a lot of people toasting the flavor fireworks. The combination the citrus forward Citron Vodka and the Bacardi Pineapple add a touch of the tropical notes with the fresh berries.
- 1½ oz GREY GOOSE Le Citron Vodka
- ½ oz Bacardi Pineapple
- + Fresh Raspberries and Blueberries
- + Soda Water
- Add all ingredients into a glass with ice and stir. Top with soda water. Garnish with fresh raspberries and blueberries.
While berry beverages are often sweet, the reality is that a little spice can make the flavors pop even more. In this cocktail from Four Roses Bourbon, the combination of sweet and heat is perfectly refreshing on a hot day.
Just like the bees are drawn to the ripe berries, cocktail lovers will be drawn to this beverage all summer long.
The Bee Sting
- 1 ½ fl. Oz. Four Roses Small Batch
- ½ fl. Oz. Lemon Juice
- ½ fl. Oz. Honey
- 3 fl. Oz. Barritt’s Ginger Beer
- 4 Blackberries (at max ripeness, more if not ripe)
- 2 pinches Black Pepper
- Combine honey, blackberries and black pepper in a glass, muddle. Add the lemon juice, bourbon and ice to the glass. Top with ginger beer and give a short stir. Garnish with a lemon wedge, three blackberries on a cocktail pick, and a sprinkle of black pepper.
What berry beverages are part of your summer entertaining gatherings? Do you have a great cocktail to share with FoodSided?