By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
On June 21, 2021, a case of botulism – food poisoning was registered in Melitopol- a city in Zaporizhzhia Oblast of southeastern Ukraine, according to the city health department.
The patient is a 65-year-old man who bought cold-smoked mackerel in a retail chain and consumed it himself on June 18-19, 2021.
On the evening of June 19, he felt worsening of the condition: general weakness and vomiting, so he was hospitalized at the Melitopol central regional hospital June 21 where he was diagnosed with botulism. Additionally, symptoms of visual disturbances (diplopia) and weakness of the leg muscles later appeared.
On the same day, the patient was transferred to the Zaporizhia Regional Infectious Diseases Hospital in severe condition and was administered a heptavalent antitoxin.
Botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by a toxin produced by Clostridium botulinum bacteria. When ingested, the toxin attacks the body’s nerves. Symptoms typically start with muscle weakness in the fa
ce and neck, and then spreads to the torso, arms, and legs. The toxin weakens muscles used for breathing which can lead to death. It is important that anyone ill with symptoms of botulism visit a health care provider immediately to be assessed.