While a fresh catch is always a flavorful bite, this Gordon Ramsay Grilled Red Snapper recipe brings a taste of the tropics, too. In a recent Gordon Ramsay Uncharted episode, Puerto Rico serves as inspiration for a luscious dinner that is full of bold flavors. This beach breezes might be refreshing, but the flavors are bringing the spice.
For some home cooks, grilling a whole fish might sound intimidating, but it can be easier than it seems. While some proper preparation is key, the reality is that the cooking part is reality simple. The important part is the seasoning.
In this particular recipe, the bold flavor comes from a mojo roja. Although the literal translation is a spicy sauce, it can vary greatly. The Caribbean style sauce often uses garlic, onions and some type of pepper. Although mojo is often used with pork, it can be used to flavor a variety of proteins.
For this particular recipe, the mojo roja uses scotch bonnet peppers. That pepper is quite spicy. Before heat-adverse foodies dismiss this recipe, the flavor isn’t all consuming. When combined with all the other ingredients and flavors, it can be approachable.
Also, the red snapper is a mild, sweet fish. Since sweetness tempers heat, the fish balances the boldness of the mojo roja. In the end, the combination makes for a dish that will be etched in that food memory.
How do you make the Gordon Ramsay Grilled Red Snapper recipe?
As seen in Gordon Ramsay Uncharted Puerto Rico episode, one of the finale dishes is the Whole Grilled Red Snapper with Puerto Rican Inspired Mojo Roja. While most home cooks will not be catching fish from the sea, finding a red snapper from the fish market is doable. The other ingredients are also readily available.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 roasted bell peppers, cleaned, seeded and chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeds removed and mined
- 1 cop of vegetable stock, kosher salt to taste
- 1 lemon juice
- ¾ cup extra virgin oil olive
- 1 whole large red snapper, scaled and cleaned (approximately 3 pounds)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced ¾ inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 lemons
- 2-3 small Japanese eggplant, sliced into ¼ inch thick slices
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into ½ inch thick strips
- 5 scallions, roots trimmed
- lemon wedges for serving
- Prepare mojo roja, heat a skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle ½ tablespoons olive oil. Add onions, a pinch of salt and sauté until translucent. Add cherry tomatoes to pan along with garlic, cooking until they blister and behind to break down. Add bell peppers and Scotch bonnet peppers, cooking until tender
- Add stock and continue to cook for 15-20 minutes until liquid reduces slightly. Remove from heat, season, blend till smooth. Stream olive oil to emulsify.
- Prepare snapper by preheating the grill to 400 F.
- Rinse snapper, dry and score fish. Season generously both in and out. Stuff snapper with sliced onions, lemons and garlic.
- Drizzle fish with olive oil, grill 7-8 minutes. Flip, brush with mojo roja and cook additional 7-8 minutes.
- Cook sliced Japanese eggplant, onions, peppers, scallions.
- Serve grilled fish on a platter with vegetable medley
What do you think of this Gordon Ramsay Grilled Red Snapper recipe? Are you ready to try it?