Tired of recurring hunger pangs? Tips to stay satiated for longer periods  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- The energy to get through the day’s physical and mental workouts is derived from the meals we consume
- Recurring hunger pangs can be extremely annoying and unhealthy but they are not inevitable
- Read on to know about some ways in which you can stay full for longer periods
New Delhi: It’s 10 am and it has only been 2 hours since you had your breakfast but you can hear your stomach growling. You wonder to yourself – “Already?” In our day-to-day lives, our bodies are subjected to several activities with intensity ranging from mild to high. The energy to get through these physical and mental workouts is derived from the meals we consume. What will happen if your meals are not providing your body with an adequate amount of energy and satisfaction?
The answer is – recurring hunger pangs. This can be harmful to the body as it can lead to guilt, risk of overeating, unhealthy snacking habits, and eventually, weight gain. Therefore, keeping the hunger pangs in check is essential to ensure overall health.
Tips to stay satiated
Here are some ways in which you can stay full for longer periods and avoid overeating:
- Don’t miss out on protein: In order to keep your body satiated while ensuring healthy cellular and muscular health, start adding adequate protein to your diet. Protein is also referred to as the building block of the body and can play an important role in keeping the body full. Load up on protein-rich foods such chia seeds, chicken, eggs, nuts, etc.
- Manage stress: You must have heard of the term “stress eating”. People often resort to munching on comfort foods and sugary treats when under stress. This is due to the increased levels of cortisol in the body. To prevent an unhealthy consumption of food, make sure that you manage your stress levels well.
- Stay hydrated: Have you been drinking enough water? Recurring hunger pangs might be a sign that you are not. A glass of water can solve anything. Don’t believe it? Try gulping down some water and watch your hunger pangs magically disappear.
- Prepare your salad right: The problem of recurring hunger is often experienced by people trying to follow a consistent diet routine. Salad, being a popularly consumed diet meal, is also followed by snacks due to inevitable hunger. To avoid this from happening, make sure that you load your salad with fibre, fats, and protein for satiety. You can add foods such as avocado, chicken, whole grains, beans, nuts, etc. to your salad to make it more filling.
- Perception matters: Did you know that you can trick your body into satiety? Yes, you heard it right. With the right kind of visuals, you can achieve lasting levels of satiety. Studies have shown that by consuming a meal that is plated to be of a seemingly large portion, one can stay satiated for longer periods without actually increasing the portions. This can be done by cutting up fruits and vegetables in smaller pieces so they take up more space in the bowl, consuming overnight oats instead of instant oats, etc.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.
Get the Latest health news, healthy diet, weight loss, Yoga, and fitness tips, more updates on Times Now